One way that Assurity gives back to the local community is by providing a venue for Altrusa International of Wellington to hold their monthly business meeting. President Katrina Clokie describes the organisation and its activities…
Altrusa is an international non-profit organisation that works to make our local communities better. In Wellington, Altrusa has 14 members from varying occupations and lifestyles, all sharing an interest in community service and enjoying the friendship, fun and satisfaction that comes from working together for the benefit of others.
Altrusa Wellington undertakes a variety of service, literacy and fundraising projects each year. Our most recent projects have included:
- Purchase of books for He Huarahi Tamariki – Wellington Teen Parents Unit
- Donation to Alzheimer's Wellington to provide booklets for information packs
- Donation of children's books to Women's Refuges throughout Greater Wellington
- Donation to the Ngaio Childcare Centre to fund an additional support teacher
- Collection of 600+ food items for the Wellington City Mission
- Continued support of Sailability, which helps people with disabilities to learn to sail
All project planning happens at the monthly Altrusa business meeting, the first step to making great outcomes possible. Over the last year, we’ve held these meetings in Assurity’s Wellington office, which they’ve provided at no cost, making a big difference to our club expenses. This means that more of our fundraising can be used for projects rather than on administration overheads. We are very grateful for Assurity's continued support.